EAC is working in cooperation with ICBF – Instituto Colombiano de Bienestar Familiar to complete adoptions in Colombia. For your convenience we provide Spanish speaking staff. Call Sara at 800-533-0098 to start your adoption journey today!
***5-18-16 UPDATE: 7 children home from Colombia this year. Referrals for siblings and children over the age of 8 are arriving.***
Watch the video to see how you can be a part of our mission!
Children Available for Adoption in Colombia
- Children age 8 years and up are available for adoption.
- Special needs children available under 8 years of age.
- Sibling groups of older children are available for immediate placement.
Overview for a Colombia Adoption
EAC’s adoption program in Colombia is an opportunity for families who want to provide a loving home for older children.
Medical and psychological evaluations are provided with all referrals of children.
– Short wait time for older children.
– Single women can adopt.
Travel Requirements for a Colombia Adoption
- One trip – 4 weeks.
- One of the parents may return to U.S. while the other parent waits in Colombia for finalization process.
- Single parents must remain till process is complete.
Time Frame for a Colombia Adoption
- Wait time is approx. 12-48 months for ICBF program, dependent upon age of child/children requested.
Colombia Central Authority
Bienestar Familiar (ICBF)
Because Colombia is a member of the Hague Convention, adopting from Colombia must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention’s requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order to meet all necessary legal requirements for adoption.
- Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider
- Apply to USCIS to be Found Eligible to Adopt (I-800)
- Be Matched with a Child
- Apply to USCIS for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States (I-800A)
- Adopt the Child in Colombia
- Bring your Child Home
Post Adoptive Requirements
Post Adoptive Requirements for a Colombia Adoption
- All families must submit post-adoptive reports following social worker visits at 4 months, 8 months, 12 months.