Children Available for Adoption in Uganda
- Boys and girls, Infants, toddlers and children up to 15 years of age. The average age of children is around 3 years of age.
- There are many sibling groups that are waiting for a family.
- Relatively healthy and special needs children available
- Children in orphanage care due to abandonment or relinquishment as a result of social or cultural concerns, extreme poverty and/or loss of parent(s)
- Each child receives a medical screening for HIV/AIDS and other illnesses prior to referral
- At time of referral, families receive a child study that includes health and development assessment, family and social history, and photo.
Recently Home from Uganda
Click on the picture below to watch a video about EAC Family who gets to bring their daughter home!
Travel Requirements for a Uganda Adoption
- 1st trip of 2-3 weeks (Court)
- 2nd trip of 7-14 days (Embassy)
- Trips can be combined for approximately 6-8 weeks
- Both parents required to travel, one parent may return to the US after the legal guardianship order and child(ren)’s passport is issued.
Time Frame for a Uganda Adoption
- 2-12 months from dossier to referral
Uganda Central Authority
The Department of Youth and Child Affairs in the Ministry of Gender, Labour, and Social Development
The process for adopting a child from Uganda generally includes the following steps:
- Choose an Adoption Service Provider
- Apply to USCIS to be Found Eligible to Adopt (I-600A)
- Be Matched with a Child
- Gain legal custody in Uganda
- Apply to USCIS for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States (I-600)
- Bring Your Child Home to finalize adoption
Post Adoptive Requirements
Post Adoptive Requirements for a Uganda Adoption
- Post placement reporting required by Uganda and EAC
- Parents register adoption with the Ugandan Embassy in Washington D.C.
- Adoption finalized according to state law where parent(s) reside