EAC has been working with Ukraine since 2005, in cooperation with SDAPRC – Department for Adoption and Protection of the Rights of the Child to complete adoptions in Ukraine. The children available in Ukraine are older children ranging from age 6 and up.
Children Available for Adoption in Ukraine
- By Ukranian law, children 5 years and up are available for international adoption
- Many sibling groups are available, as long as one child is at least 5 yrs old the other siblings can be younger.
- Special needs children are available
Ukraine Adoption Procedure
- Complete and submit the Application for Adoption.
- File the I-600A immigration documents, specifying a Ukraine adoption, with cable sent to the U.S. Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine.
- You will work with your personal EAC adoption consultant in obtaining contact information for a Home Study agency in your state of residence.
- Your adoption consultant will assist you in completing the Registration and Dossier documents.
- Submit your completed dossier to register with the Dept. of Adoption in Kiev, Ukraine.
- Receive your appointment date at the Dept. of Adoption approximately within 3 weeks after the submission of your dossier.
- Travel to Ukraine approximately 10 days after you receive your appointment date at the Dept. of Adoption.
- You are with EAC translators and coordinators while in the country and escorted through all proceedings.
- EAC parents will stay in an apartment in Kiev and be accompanied by English-speaking staff to the region.
- Parents choose a child from files of available children at their appointment with the Dept. of Adoption in Kiev and then travel to the region to meet the child. Court is held in the region.
Travel Requirements for a Ukraine Adoption
- 1 trip, 4-8 weeks
- 2 trips
– 1st trip, 2-3 weeks
– 2nd trip, 1 week
Time Frame for a Ukraine Adoption
- Wait time is approx. 2-4 months. From submission of dossier to travel is immediate (approx. 10 days later)
Ukraine Central Authority
State Department for Adoptions and Protection of Rights of the Child (SDAPRC)
The process for adopting a child from Ukraine generally includes the following steps:
- Choose an Adoption Service Provider
- Apply to USCIS to be Found Eligible to Adopt
- Be Matched with a Child
- Adopt the Child in Ukraine
- Apply to USCIS for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption
- Bring Your Child Home
Post Adoptive Requirements
Post Adoptive Requirements for a Ukraine Adoption
- All families must submit post-adoptive reports following social worker visits at 6 months, 12 months, 24 months, and 36 months.