Hague Accredited
View all

Request our FREE INFO Kit Today

And learn more
About International
Click Here

Now that you are home...

EAC is excited to have you as one of our post-adoptive parents! Our relationship does not stop now. In a sense, it is just beginning. You are now part of the EAC family.

Our Post-Adoptive Department is available to answer your questions …. We are just a phone call away!

Certificate of Citizenship

As of January 2004, when both adoptive parents travel to a foreign country to visit with the child before the adoption is finalized, the child will automatically receive a Certificate of Citizenship from USCIS.  This certificate will be mailed to your home, arriving within 6-8 weeks of returning to the U.S.    If both parents did not travel, you must first re-adopt and file Form N-600 with USCIS.


Even if re-adoption is not necessary in your county of residence, it is a good idea to re-adopt for the purpose of securing an American birth certificate.  An American birth certificate is required in order to obtain a U.S. passport for your child.   Since foreign documents may be difficult or impossible to replace, EAC encourages families to re-adopt soon after returning home.  The re-adoption process varies by State of residence.

American Birth Certificate

You should contact your local Probate Court and/or Child and Family Services Department to inquire about the procedure for obtaining an American birth certificate.

Social Security Number

If you adopted on an I-800, your child’s social security card will be automatically sent to you.  If you adopted on an I-600 you will need to submit Form SS-5 with your local Social Security Office.

Taxpayer Identification Number

An ATIN may be requested from the IRS as a temporary number for use. In addition, EAC requires monthly parental reports for the first year and quarterly reports for the second and third year.